Counting on U
Embark on your Counting on U journey now.
What is Counting on U and why is it important for your practice?
This 6-week interactive online training course equips participants with the tools and skills to build trust and better support colleagues and clients facing mental health issues.
have repeatedly confirmed the strong links between financial distress and mental ill-health.
Deakin Business School’s Counting on U program was created, in 2020, in response to this growing body of evidence. Designed in collaboration with industry partners, CoU is an evidence-backed training program for business finance professionals across Australia and New Zealand looking to develop the skills to build long-term, trusting relationships, navigate difficult client or customer conversations and look after themselves whilst supporting their clients and colleagues.
Partnering with HumanEx, the project delivered training to 160+ participants over 100 training and one-on-one coaching sessions.
Choose from the following
What you’ll learn
The client Relationship Building Training (RBT) module provides participants with a useful framework to identify and refine interpersonal skills needed to have empathetic, often difficult, conversations about mental health and financial wellbeing.
Some of the difficult conversations explored include deep-diving into underlying issues, handling verbal aggression, and handling upset or distressed clients. The overall goal of RBT is to help you get even better at developing longer-term, trusting and mutually beneficial relationships with your clients.
- Improve knowledge of how to build trust with clients.
- Develop the skills required to have conversations with clients. experiencing financial and psychological distress and/or uncover underlying issues.
- Improve self-awareness to better support clients.
- Increase self-care skills.
The Mental Health First Aid® (MHFA™) module teaches participants how to identify and provide support to those with the most common mental health conditions until they are able to seek professional help.
- Improve knowledge of mental health conditions, their treatments and appropriate first aid strategies.
- Improve confidence in providing first aid to a person experiencing a mental health condition.
- Decrease stigmatising attitudes.
- Increase the amount and type of support provided to others.
The Booster further consolidates these skills by giving participants a chance to debrief with a trained expert, practice more scenarios and activities, and learn from each other through sharing of knowledge and experiences.
Upon successful course completion, participants will receive MHFA™ digital accreditation (valid for three years and recognised globally) and an email acknowledging course completion, which participants can use when submitting for CPD points*. Participants also receive a 0.5 Deakin unspecified course credit towards Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) into a Faculty of Business & Law post-graduate degree, including the Deakin MBA.
* Members of Chartered Accountants Australia New Zealand, Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, CPA Australia; members and Deakin alumni also receive a discount on the program fee.
Hear what some of our previous clients have had to say
Complete your registration now
Choose from our individual option or a custom-built CoU for businesses and organisations.
Got a question?
Learn more about the Counting on U program
Check out these FAQs
Sign up for the CoU newsletter to stay across all the latest news, updates, free events and resources from the Deakin Business School.